Covid-19 has proven itself a real party pooper and millions of people worldwide have found themselves (or still are) stuck at home. So were we here in Belgium and the Netherlands. That doesn’t mean we are going to adapt as fast as “1, 2, 3, lockdown!”. Once in a while it’s time for a break and it’s holiday o’clock if you ask us! Let us help you along planning a staycation in Antwerp with these 6 tips:
1. Get the prep work done
Do your research on where you want to go. For obvious reasons, we’re presenting you the buzzing city of Antwerp. Here they’ve got it all: diamonds, a one-way shopping street (mind the distancing ?), the quayside by the river Schelde and literally the world in food options. Come and enjoy this melting pot of a city that stole our hearts, “The Belgian Barcelona by the Schelde”.
Why opting for A-STAY Antwerp for your staycation? Well let us sum up some of the benefits for you:
- budget friendly
- in the middle of everything
- stress-free traveling
- local expert
2. Set the budget
Our friends with ‘The Adventures of Stevie V’ new it already back in the 90’s. But let us reassure you right here, right now: A-STAY is cashless and budget friendly. Besides, we are now offering a special rate as of €59 with free upgrade to a room with a view. You can unlock this rate, using the code “PROMOSTAYCATION” on www.A-STAY.com exclusively.
3. Alert the media!
No, just kidding. ? But don’t forget to let your friends, family and co-workers now that you are ‘OOO’. Breaking your routine is the key to a successful staycation, so try to detach yourself from the outside world: news off, out-of-office on. It’s time to relax and make your indoor paradise your sanctuary. Play the guitar in our Playground, go for a workout in our gym, roll out your yoga mat in our Backyard, enjoy endless walks through the city or grab a drink and a book and relax on the windowsill of your room with a view.
Does reading a book sound like a plan to you? Be inspired by these writers allowing you a live peak into their universe with the Quarantine Book Club. Or do you prefer to do the yoga thing instead? Take a class in the comfort of your own room or in our own Backyard with Adriene’s yoga video’s on Youtube. Are you more the passive kind of thrill-seeker? Watch the much discussed Netflix documentary on yoga guru Bikram on the smart screen TV in your room or enjoy Michael Jordan’s stunning basket performances in The Last Dance. In need of more inspiration of what to watch, do, listen to or read? Have talk with one your fellow guests in the Playground and learn what inspires them.
4. Dine inside out
At A-STAY it’s possible to order in! Get your food brought to your doorstep, we have a delivery point downstairs in our Playground. Nice bonus: since most restaurants had to close this spring because of Corona, the online restaurant offer boomed! Order food directly from the restaurant or through your usual suspects Deliveroo and Uber Eats. Take-out is for the daredevils ??. And luckily for you A-STAY’s local ambassadors did some digging (well erm… let’s say ‘eating’) and have some great recommendations for you:
- Plantbased à Camion – https://www.instagram.com/camion_antwerp/
- Happy healthy à Native – https://www.instagram.com/nativeantwerpen/
- Lunch & breakfast à Tinsel – https://www.instagram.com/tinsel_antwerp/
- Chocolates and sweets à Delrey – https://www.instagram.com/delreyantwerpen/
- Best sandwiches in town à Tartine – https://www.instagram.com/delreyantwerpen/
- Italian pasta dishes à Pici – https://www.instagram.com/piciantwerp/
- Exciting natural wines à Bar Brut – https://www.instagram.com/bar.brut/
- Seafood street food à Fish a’gogo – https://www.instagram.com/fishagogo_antwerp/
- Great coffee and bagels à Kaffeenini – https://www.instagram.com/kaffeenini/
- Noodle galore à Takumi – https://www.instagram.com/takumiramenbelgium/
…. Your options are endless. Keep an eye on our blog and social media for the latest tips or just look at our local ambassador’s video clips on the screens in our Playground or your personal TV.
5. Embrace another culture
If you can’t travel the world, the world will come to you! And you sure came to the right city to make that happen. In Antwerp one of the largest Jewish communities of Europe is living just around the corner of A-STAY. And China Town is just a 5 min walk away. And that’s not all, this mayor harbor city is home to at least 170 different nationalities.
Do you rather stay inside? Discover the world at your feet and stream ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’ on your TV. Bored of Greece? Travel to the Middle East in just one bite and order out from Fin Jan, tested and approved by DJ Steve Aoki. Or dive into the local cultural offer and visit some of Antwerp’s finest museums:
- Diamond Museum DIVA
- Museum of Photography FOMU
- Red Star Line Museum
- Plantin Moretus Museum
- Middelheim Museum (open air)
6. Go shopping
Discover Antwerp’s Champs-Élysées, the Meir, and the numerous Belgian and international brands that have set up camp there. Please mind the direction, as due to Corona, this shopping street has a walking direction to assure social distancing. Also Nationalestraat, Volkstraat, Kloosterstraat, Huidevettersstraat, Schuttershofstraat, Lange Koepoortstraat, Wilde Zee, Steenhouwersvest and Kammenstraat harbor some of our locals’s favourite boutiques:
- Jüttu @ Meir https://www.instagram.com/juttu_official/
- Stay @ Nationalestraat https://www.instagram.com/stay_antwerp/
- Eat Dust @ Volksstraat https://www.instagram.com/eatdust/
- Sneaker District @ Kloosterstraat https://www.instagram.com/sneakerdistrict/
- Monique Stam @ Oever https://www.instagram.com/moniquestam.be/
- Arket @ Huidevettersstraat https://www.instagram.com/arketofficial/
- Le Labo fragrances @ Schuttershofstraat https://www.instagram.com/lelabofragrances/
- Riot @ Lange Koepoortstraat https://www.instagram.com/riotantwerp/
- Monar @ Wilde Zee https://www.instagram.com/monar_antwerp/
- Stad Leest @ Steenhouwersvest https://www.instagram.com/boekhandel_stad_leest/
- Arte @ Kammenstraat https://www.instagram.com/arteantwerp/
Alright fellow stayers, now it’s up to you. Time to ‘Unfold the City’! Stay local, think global and most importantly don’t forget to stay safe!